Want to Volunteer?
We are here to make it easy for you to find a volunteering role you will enjoy.
If you are an organisation wanting to recruit volunteers, then go to need volunteers?
If you are an individual looking for a volunteer opportunity please continue on this page
We currently require volunteer drivers and volunteer gardeners. Please contact us for more information.
How to get started?
- Search on the national volunteering website - Do-It for opportunities in your area.
- Within a 20 mile radius of Ely there are currently more than 1,256 opportunities in the East Cambridgeshire.
- If you find something you are interested in click on the opportunity.
- Read the details - if you are interested click on Register my Interest
- Then log-in or register on Do-it if you have not already.
- Follow the instructions for applying
- You will receive a confirmation email saying your details have been sent to Ely and District Volunteer Centre.
- If you prefer make an appointment with us to help with this process, please use the contact details at the bottom of the page.
or post and we will contact you to arrange an appointment.
Volunteering comes in many forms:
- Regular volunteering
- A couple of hours a week or days a month enabling a regular position within the organisation to take up a role such as administration/reception or befriending.
- Attending community and fundraising events, seasonal - gift wrapping, event stewards, environmental work – tree planting, collecting/delivering donation boxes.
- Micro volunteering is commitment free volunteering in short timeframes – usually under 2 hours.
- Service users giving back to the organisation
Volunteering— Helping you gain employment
Volunteering has a wealth of benefits for an individual from building self esteem and confidence to learning new skills but it is especially beneficial for those looking for employment.
Volunteering gives you the opportunity to develop your skills and experience different roles. It enables you to fill gaps on your cv and have an up to date reference.
Bridging a gap between periods of employment by volunteering shows employers that you are self motivated and committed. By keeping your skills up to date and maintaining personal development this will look favourably with employers.